- Louis Challis
5 Fitness Tips For Beginners
First things first: getting fit needn’t be a complicated process. Don’t be put off by technical jargon and fancy equipment. All you need is a little willpower, and some straightforward guidelines, which you will find here!
1. Have a check-up. If you have done little or no exercise for a while (or, perhaps, at all!) then it is important to consult your doctor for a full check-up before beginning, and is essential for those who have serious health conditions. This may seem like a lot of effort, but it is far better to start off on the correct foot than to store up problems for later on.
2. Start with walking, not running. Be realistic about your current fitness level – if you haven’t exercised in years, it is essential to respect your limitations. A steady, measured approach is the only way you will be successful in your fitness attempt.
3. Set goals for yourself. Break larger goals into smaller, specific goals. If you just hope to run 5k in a year’s time, there is a danger that you will wander off track. So, set small achievable goals that are within your current capabilities. Improvement will come with time and persistence.
4. Pace yourself. Initially, just exercise one muscle group per session. Slowly add a set as the weeks go by. Listen to your body – if you are aching so much that movement is difficult, take a break and let your system recover. If you do too much early on, you are risking injury. If you are lifting weights, stick to the lighter ones for your first few weeks.
5. Create a social support network. Whether this is family members, friends, or a personal trainer, you will be much more successful with other people to inspire and encourage you on your journey. A work out buddy is great for those days when settling down in front of the TV seems more appealing than getting out there!
When you’re ready to take your fitness to the next level and looking for private personal training in Fulham, get in touch!